Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What time is it?

Do you remember your VCR?  Mom, Dad, I know you do because I'm pretty sure it's still hooked up in the den.  Ok, but everybody else - do you remember it?  Do you remember how every time the power went out you had to figure out how to set that stupid clock again?  I'm pretty sure I just left mine blinking for the first half of my college career, or until whenever I finally got my own DVD player.  Man, did I just age myself again?  I've got to stop doing that.

Anyway, so here we are in Korea, in certainly the most technologically advanced home I've ever lived in.  We have remotes for the air conditioners and our master bedroom lights, an intercom system that can control the lights, allow us to see and speak to guests downstairs or outside our the apartment door, call other apartments, etc.  We have digital temperature controls for the under-floor heating system.  A button by the door that can turn shut off all the lights in the apartment on our way out the door.  A built-in radio in the kitchen, that I think can answer the intercom.  Here, I'll show you what I mean...

  Oh yeah, did I mention you can use the intercom in the bathroom?

 
Yeah, that's a touch screen on the main control panel.



Did you notice anything similar in each of those shots?  I guess I should say, did you see something different in all of those shots?  I took all of those pictures within a couple minutes of each other, and none of the times are even close. And even if I had the instruction manuals for all of them, which I don't, I couldn't read them.  So don't ask me what time it is.  'Cuz I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Find a 3rd Grader (well, in Korea, probably a kindergarten kid) and ask her to set them for you. Clay used to have to program the VCR for me--never got the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. Cell phones, too. If you need to learn how to use a new cell phone - change a setting or whatever - ask a junior higher.

    ReplyDelete