Friday, September 23, 2011

To Each His Own

When I checked my hotmail this morning, I found an email from Zales.  It was a sales promotion for "Beautiful Previously Owned Jewelry - Gently Restored to Its Original Luster."  My curiousity got the better of me, and I decided to waste a little of my precious free time perusing some used jewelry.  And even though I know we all have varying taste - one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that - I was still amazed at some of the pieces I saw.  Because not only did some design team think it was a good idea to produce these pieces at some point, but this is USED jewelry.  That means somebody actually felt like it was worth their hard-earned money and bought this stuff.  Amazing.

I'll start with my mildest objection.  These pendants, in and of themselves, are not really so bad.  I myself had one half of a set very much like this as a child.  Only I was probably about 8, and as I recall the set was less than $10 from Walmart.  It probably wasn't even sterling silver.
 My confusion here is really about the market segment this was intended for.  What grown adult would still want to wear it?  And what 8-year-old can afford a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR best friend necklace?  Seriously?  And I know gold prices have been at record highs lately, but who's going to spend this much money for a kid's necklace?  I think you'd be better off melting it down and selling the gold.  And the real diamond accents...  Don't get me started.

I suppose the next two items really follow the same line of thought.
SpongeBob.  Wow.  Unbelievable.  At least they kept it to crystal and left the diamonds for real jewelry this time, like this next piece.  Ha!

This next one was at least worth quite a good laugh.



I wouldn't wear this with a bad Halloween costume.  Retail value $150?  Are you kidding me?  150 Won maybe.  Although I wouldn't even pay that for it.

And this last one was Blake's "favorite." 
I think I might buy it for him for Christmas.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment