Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy (Chinese/Lunisolar) New Year!

Happy New Year!  It's now the Year of the Dragon.

If you know me at all, you know I certainly don't believe in horoscopes or things like that.  But sometimes I think it's like fortune cookies - interesting to read and see just how coincidentally dead-on or dead-wrong they are.  Similar to the signs of the Western astrology zodiac, Chinese astrology has animals that it assigns to each lunisolar year in a 12-year cycle.  Granted, this doesn't start on the same day each year, so you have to actually check your particular birthday to figure out in which Chinese-year your birth date fell.  Last year was the year of the rabbit, and this year is the year of the dragon.  There's some myth about how the order of animals was determined.  You can read about it on Wikipedia if you're interested:  Chinese New Year.  My little sister was born in 1988, which was 2 dragon years ago.  I wonder if its description sounds anything liker her.

According to chinesezodiac.com, people born in the Year of the Dragon are ambitious and driven.  They are creative and work well alone.  They're leaders and have fast tempers.  And Jason, if you're reading this, it says that, "when they find the right partners, they’ll usually commit to that person for life."  I am absolutely sure that part is true.

Anyway, I hope you're all having a pleasant New Year.  While you were all enjoying the first week day of January as a holiday, I was at work.  Ok, technically, at the exact time that you were enjoying that day, I was asleep.  But you know what I mean.  But now I'm enjoying our two days off for the Korean New Year, so I guess it all works out.  :)

One of the banks my company uses is HSBC, and apparently it's customary for many businesses to present small gifts to some of their customers for the New Year.  This is what they sent me last week:

Crystal dragon from HSBC bank



Pretty neat, huh?  I think I"ll put him on my desk and enjoy him.  Thank goodness it's not the year of the snake!

No comments:

Post a Comment